Good Winds Calling
Orebić found its place on the SW side of the Pelješac peninsula, at the foot of St. Ilija Mountain, overlooking the town of Korčula, which is only a 15-minute boat ride away. It was named after the sea captains of the Orebić family which renewed the castle in Orebić in 1586.
Orebić has always treasured the sea and the good winds. Once eagerly awaiting the ships that were greeting the locals with their horns, it now welcomes its guests arriving here to enjoy their holiday. It is perfectly located only 112 km from Dubrovnik allowing its guests to visit Dubrovnik but still enjoy their holiday in a less bustling town.
The Pelješac peninsula is the second biggest Croatian peninsula. After Orebić, some of the bigger towns in the area are Ston, Trpanj and Janjina. Ston is famous for its walls, the oldest salt pans in Europe and world-class oysters.
Excellent shellfish and divine wines such as Dingač and Postup will invite visitors of a more refined palate to come and visit Pelješac. Mountain climbers and mountain biking enthusiasts will also have fun here. However, Pelješac will be especially worshipped by those who love nothing more than the wind. Paragliding, windsurfing and sailing enthusiasts have discovered the perfect place to take on the maestral wind, right here in the channel between Pelješac and Korčula, and they keep coming back every year.
Cradle of Seamen and Captains
Until the 16th century, Orebić was called Trstenica. With the arrival and under the influence of the naval family Orebić, which renewed the castle in the middle of the fortified settlement in Trstenica in 1586, the town was renamed to Orebić. The town was founded at the end of the 15th and beginning of the 16th century as part of the Republic of Dubrovnik, and it has always been focused on the sea as its most prized source of earnings.
The Pelješac ships were the most important part of the Republic of Dubrovnik's navy since the 17th century. The rise of shipowners grew during the Austrian rule and the Pelješac Maritime Society started operating in the town in 1865. Orebić was proud of the highest number of captains in Croatia and in 1875, Emperor Franz Joseph I opened a shipyard here. The shipyard was in charge of ship repairs and even manufactured 3 long distance sailing ships during the 13 years of its operation.
In addition to seamanship, Catholic tradition also holds an important place in the history of Orebić. It is present in over 40 churches and chapels and 17 Catholic cemeteries.
What's worth seeing?
- Maritime Museum with historical material and displays
- Franciscan Monastery of Our Lady of the Angel and captains' cemetery
- Captains' houses in the town
- Mimbelli Family luxurious summer villa
- Spila Nakovana Cave over 2000 years old
- Three-naval Church of Our Lady Loreta – Delorita
- Church of the Holy Trinity in Kućište from 1752, the most splendid Baroque chapel in Dalmatia